Is your “inner entrepreneur” demanding to be set free? Do you want to join that elite group of individuals who have taken ideas and turned them into successful businesses; creating value, jobs, and considerable wealth in the process? If so, we invite you to enter our annual Undergraduate Business Plan Competition. With the mission of strengthening the entrepreneurial culture and spirit across the university, the competition allows participants to enhance their understanding of new venture creation, polish their communication skills, minimize the risks involved in creating a sound business plan, and network with other entrepreneurially-oriented students, successful local entrepreneurs, and potential investors.
This three-round competition takes place each spring semester and is open to any undergraduate student on the Knoxville campuses.
Schedule for the 2014 Undergraduate Business Plan Competition:
- By February 24 Submit Concept Statement to: email@example.com; put “Undergraduate Business Plan Competition” in the subject line
- Do include in a cover sheet YOUR NAME, CONTACT INFORMATION, ACADEMIC YEAR, MAJOR. Do not include your name in the submission document itself. The document author must remain anonymous to the judges.
- Invitations to compete in round #1 issued: March 7
- Presentations to Judges for round #1: March 14
- Invitations to present in the final round: March 19
- Final Award Round presentations to be made to the judges: March 28
The competition is open to any undergraduate individual or team from any college within the University of Tennessee in Knoxville. The only requirements are that the team leader be enrolled in a UT degree program on the Knoxville campuses and that the submission be the individual or team’s own original work and ideas. There will be awards in two categories: growth businesses and lifestyle businesses.
Prizes (for each category):
- First place: $5,000
- Second place: $3,000
- Third place: $2,000
- Competition Guidelines
- Submission Requirements
- How to Strengthen Your Plan
- Growth vs. Lifestyle Businesses
- Business Plan Resources
- Agreement and Certifications